MH Walkthroughs

Other MH servers & MH in general.

MH Walkthroughs

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

I like Skaarj Castle but notice many players don't know where all of the triggers are as they aren't clearly marked in this map.
Here's a little run thru that I hope will help more players finish.

I tried to make notes on the screenshots I took but grew very impatient with all of the picture editors I own.
That's ok, nobody reads this stuff anyway.

Skaarj Castle Walkthrough

After you've cleared the groundlevel and lower castle of Nasties:

1. Run up the slanted rocks and the grate should open. Drop down into the water.

2. Go through the tunnels and activate all the stones on the ground. This activates the portal that appears in the tunnels.

3. Take the Portal & lift to the plateau, upper level. Find the cabin with the Yellow Book on the table
Stand by the Yellow Book to activate it. This seems to activate the down lift to the waterfall.
Many maps by Drew have a Yellow Book that has some sort of magical powers.

4. From a lower cliff, take the "down" lift to the waterfall tunnel (There's a trigger in the water) & jump down the waterfall into the lake.

5. You now have access to the long, high lift to the main castle once the lower side gate opens.

6. Keep an eye out for multicolored floor tiles/triggers & step on them. The Skaarjs are tough in the castle. Watch for the sneaky General in the 1st tower.

7. You can dive down into the lake from the castle ledge and go back down the slanted rocks into the portal.

8. Once you're back on the cliffs, take a right and look for the pointed ledge leading to the cave opening (the gate on the cave should be open now).

9. Dodge forward into the doorway on the cliff wall and go down the hall to the "little green cube"!
Fuzz_Ball

Re: MH Walkthroughs

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 am

A great website for Old Unreal and NaPali walkthroughs is

http://www.oldunreal.com/walkthrough.htm

A good many MH map is a converted Unreal map.
It's nice to see what you might have missed in these old maps!
Fuzz_Ball

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am

Dino Island
Funny how players get used to the EASY weapons that they forget about the hidden weapons in some maps.
To me, this is part of the fun of MH.
Dino Island's secrets are in the rectangular pools between the 2 waterfalls.
Exit the starting cave to your right.
Go into the "square edged" pool and watch out for the Luminous Devil fish.
Swim to the submerged altar to get the Enhanced Shock Rifle a.k.a. InstaGib.
On the roof of this altar or throne is a portal that takes you to a G11_Assault Rifle & other goodies.
Shot0027.jpg

Shot0028.jpg

Shot0029.jpg
Fuzz_Ball

New postby SourChipmunk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:58 am

Hey Fuzz_Ball! First post on these forums. We were trying to figure out Skaarj Castle together yesterday and I'm not sure if we really found the answer, but here are a couple things I think worked for us:

After clearing the ground level of beasties, go to the building in the center of the lake and kick/shoot the yellow book around for awhile.

Then go to the castle and hit the center corrider to reach the middle level. There is a red book there. Kick/shoot that thing around for awhile also.

Go back to the entrance and follow the other path around to access the staircase that leads up to the top of the castle. Follow the spiral staircase all the way up to the rafters. There is a switch there that opens a doorway to the roof. Get on the roof and "capture the flag".

This all seems to be required to get the drawbridge to drop at the first building. Once through there and cleaning up everything, follow the upper path around until you reach a narrow cliff ledge. There is a switch there that needs to be triggered to allow access to the grate at the top of the slanted rocks.

The rest of the steps seem to work, until you get to the waterfall part.

After flipping the switch in the waterfall, you have to go down the waterfall to allow front-door access to the second building. Only after going through that building (was there a switch in there) does the switch work that brings down the tower elevator.

Everything else seems to be spot on! Thanks for putting all that together. :thumbup:
SourChipmunk

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am

Good catch, Chip and WELCOME to the forum!

You're right about the flag on the roof on the back building near the pink slime.
The books are not neccessary.
The only book in this map is the Yellow one in the hut by the Titan on the top.
Yellow books, in Drew's maps usually have some significance.

Skaarj Castle is a very complicated map. I looked at it in Unreal Editor for some time and it's mind boggling!
In addition to killing all the ground monsters, take a close look around the small tower in front of the DRAWBRIDGE.
On the 2nd and top levels, there are drop down tunnels with stuff inside them. Running thru them seems to trip a switch.
Finally, after touching the flag on the roof of the pink slime house, STAND in front of the DrawBridge.
The text in the picture is from the actual Trigger Properties.

Drew sometimes drops into the server to play, otherwise I don't know how to contact him.
Perhaps he can help us with his own walkthrough!
skaarjcastle.jpg
Fuzz_Ball

New postby SourChipmunk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank you very much, Fuzz_Ball. I'll give that a try.
SourChipmunk

New postby *POTS* » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Not sure this can be of any help, if at all, but here's some story about the Skaarj Tower - Shadow and Fire campaign:
http://skaarjtower.50megs.com/index.html
Plain Old Telephone Service
*POTS*

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 am

Good find there, POTS!
I hope Drew's email address is current.
Fuzz_Ball

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Well cool - I heard from Drew on Skaarj Tower & Castle.
It looks like they are two in a series; the end of Tower is the start of Castle.

Here's what Drew wrote:

I made the map series for single player/coop (not MH), so you need a translator to read the messages in order to know where to go. I think Mr X converted Skaarj Castle to MH, so I dont know if he modified the triggers in his release. But, so far as the original single player map of Skaarj Castle goes, there was a walkthrough done at OldUnreal.com done by Bleeder91. I reviewed it for accuracy, and it is correct. As long as Mr X did not change any triggers, then this attached walkthrough should answer any questions you might have.

Well, MH (at least the version on FBF) doesn't use the translator so we're screwed there. There are also a few other minor things that don't seem to work on my server... While we were pretty close here, there WAS a HUGE writeup for both maps at Old Unreal but the link is broken. Thanks to Drew for emailing the .pdf from that post. It's a great read for these awesome maps:

Great stuff, Drew! :drinks:
Attachments
Skaarj Tower - Shadow and Fire Walkthrough.pdf
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 1275 times
Fuzz_Ball

New postby SourChipmunk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Gracias. That last walkthrough worked perfect!
SourChipmunk

Next

Return to Monster Hunt