Mapping from a copied vs. installed version of UT

Mapping from a copied vs. installed version of UT

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 am

Weird thing about the Anthology version, it only allows ONE instance of UT to be installed. So I made a complete UT copy (folder structures, etc) , which I intended to use for mapping practice. Welllllll it works fine until I start adding player starts; sometimes the icons appear, sometimes they don't. I also placed a sheet in a wrong location and could not move or delete it to save my life!

My theory is that Ued must need various components to be registered within Windows in order to work properly, while game play does not. This explains why you can copy UT to a thumb driver and play without a problem.

I am now going to try to use the regular installed UT environment for mapping and "play" from the copied version and let you know if there's a difference.

So, my questions are:

- Is there a way to override Anthology's limit of 1 install? If you try to install a 2nd instance, all you get is a "Remove UT" option.
- Is Windows 7 64 bit somehow not compatible with Ued?
- Am I right in assuming that a "copy" of UT is not the correct environment for mapping?

Thanks for any advice and input.
Fuzz_Ball

Re: Mapping from a copied vs. installed version of UT

New postby *POTS* » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Fuzz_Ball wrote:- Is Windows 7 64 bit somehow not compatible with Ued?

I have Win7 Home Premium x64 + UT GOTY on my new laptop and UEd seems to work better than the UT99 classic version (used to crash with a silent error whenever I closed the window).
As regards UT Anthology and the other questions, I have no idea, sorry. :|
Plain Old Telephone Service

*POTS*

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 pm

So, I've learned (or learnt) that Ued does work from a copied version
and it works reportedly better on Win 7 / 64.
Anthology does install GOTY (and Unreal, R2NP, Unreal2 & UT 2K4) but the install menu prohibits multiple copies of the same game.
I'll mess around and try the setup.exe, sometime.
I have a lot to learn in Ued so perhaps I'll get this figured out.
Fuzz_Ball

New postby Nelsona » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Bump, as far as I know, I've been able to run UED in a machine where no UT was ever installed - used ONLY for running servers. For first time in that W7 I could see a common error which I keep in mind but not in entire format just mentioning strings "constant time tick bla bla" CRASH Bang. I needed Editor there for basic checks not really for mapping so I went at a bit of tweaking mentioned in community last time, LISTING Ued in OS's DEPS section (Data Execution Prevention). After adding it there nearby the other UT stuff, problems have been reduced almost to None by doing this everywhere in locations running Ued. The only version of Ued completely messed up is Ued from v451 any, product of UTPG :fu: that is no longer an Editor regarding to what anyone is thinking or saying.

For Editor which I'm using to work I cannot deliver too many description stuff. It's just a common Editor listed in DEPS, it has various Buttons, builders helpers writing scripts for me when is too much content to write, quickly doing some patching - removing stupid pawns added, relocating actors in space having fixed X,Y,Z locations not floating numbers for processing more bits, detecting duplicated actors and having a sort of fix which was working so far, preparing some properties pre-pathing for getting nodes placement in space where sometimes Editor goes retarded, new XC builders for making meshes and manual paths, etc. For the rest of files used in that version, I've done changes for unlocking various properties of certain Actors originally invisible - debugging purpose - so to speak a specially screwed up stock allowing me even to compile non-common packages. These are not cheating unless User (myself) has a mouse-click type problem doing some stunts and triggering a default crash noise... :lala: .
Nelsona

New postby Fuzz_Ball » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm

WOW!
Very old thread but thanks for your reply, Nelsona!
So far, simple copies are OK for basic tasks.
Since I am only interested in occasional game play, this works for me.
Nice of you to stop by.
:tku:
Fuzz_Ball

Return to U Script, Mapping & Coding tech